Saturday, June 19, 2010

Pre-Op Appointment

Yesterday I went in for my Pre-Op appointment at the Pre-Admission Testing Center at Rochester General Hospital. It wasn't too bad, but we were there two and a half hours! I got blood work done, had to give a urine sample, got a chest x-ray, and talked to lots of people!

We got a ton of information on what will be happening on Monday there, and it calmed my nerves a lot. I'm still really only nervous about the IVs & anestesia, but I don't really have any choices, so I have to deal. We talked about what they would be doing with the surgery, the process and a little bit about what will happen when I'm there overnight, and a little about medications and what to eat/drink before.

I can't eat solid foods after midnight on Sunday, and can only drink water, apple juice, and black coffee or tea until 2:30pm Monday. Oh! I got an exact surgery time: 6:30pm. The paperwork said it will take about two to two and a half hours, but I think that's by the time in back in my room (which I'll most likely be sharing, I can't have a private room).

After that Pre-Admission appointment, I went back over to Dr. Caldwell's office to talk to the RPA, Stephanie. She talked about what will happen before, during and after the surgery, filling us in on anything else we didn't know at that point. She gave me prescriptions for my hormone replacement therapy pills, and told me what to get for after (Tums, to prevent any kind of calcium problems).

I still have to read over all of the papers I was given yesterday, so I'm sure I'll get more information there. I've felt better each time I've met with a doctor about this, but I'm still scared of this surgery!

I'll have my iPod with me on Monday and Tuesday, so I'll be able to write a little post about what happened the day after the surgery, if I'm up to it.